Kickstart your day with some Mexican meatballs! Maintaining a fitness routine requires a lot of work, discipline, and energy. It’s not always about the workout since your meals will also be playing a huge role in allowing you to meet your fitness goal. An essential ingredient for an active and healthy lifestyle is protein since it’s basically your body’s fuel, keeping you from fatigue and sore muscles. While it’s important to control your calorie intake, it’s also essential to make sure the food you eat has all the nutrients your body will be needing if you want to continue on the yellow brick road of fitness!
With at least 300 calories, this recipe is sure to boost you up and warm you up for your day’s workout. So what are you waiting for? Andele and get that body working!
- 2 lb. (0.91kg.) grass-fed ground beef
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 ½ cups celery, diced
- ¾ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp. Chipotle powder
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp super radical rib rub
- 6 cups zucchini, large dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups onions, large dice
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ cups poblano pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups red bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup green bell peppers, diced
- 4 cups tomato puree
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 lb. (0.91kg.) ground beef, 1 ½ cups celery, 2 cups onions, ½ tsp. Chipotle powder, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 eggs and 4 tbsp. Super radical rib rub. Mix well until uniform.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Using a 1-oz. Portion-control scoop, scoop meatball mixture into the pan. Repeat the process until the mixture is gone and you’ve got a pan full of meatballs.
- During cooking, turn the meatballs 3-4 times, with the goal of achieving nice caramelization on all sides and an internal temperature of 165 F.
- When meatballs are done, pair with calabacitas for a killer meal.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and garlic and sauté until garlic is toasted.
- Add onion and ½ tsp. Chipotle powder. Stir.
- Add 1 ½ cups red bell pepper, 1 ½ cups poblano pepper, ¾ cup green bell pepper and a pinch of kosher salt. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and another pinch of kosher salt. Replace the lid on the pan and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Add mushrooms, stir to incorporate and cook for 3 additional minutes.
- Fold in 4 cups tomato puree, bring to a simmer and the calabacitas are ready. Share with your friends and enjoy!